WHAT IS THE FOODPRINT PROJECT?
The City of Vancouver has projected that we will be the world's Greenest city by 2020. By implementing programs and support in four high-priority areas; waste reduction, local food progams, green community events and greenhouse gas reduction, the wheels have been set in motion to acheive this goal.
That is where you come in! We have focused our efforts on assesing how much food waste Vancouverites produce and how we can reduce that waste at home, save money and help the environment. It's easy!
Love Food, Hate Waste
- Canadians waste on average 172kg of food annually. That's roughly equal to the weight of an adult black bear!
- 51% of food waste in Canada is wasted at home.
- The average Canadian family of four wastes $1,464 worth of food annually.
- 29% or $27 billion worth of food is wasted annually in Canada. That's higher than the combined GDP of the 32 poorest countries in the world (World Bank 2009)
- When food is wasted all the resources to grow, harvest, package, ship and prepare that food are wasted too!
- 1.4 trillion litres of water per year is used on food crops that are wasted. That's the same amount of water that pours over Niagra Falls after 4 days!
- Food sent to landfill generates methane, a greenhouse gas 26X more powerful than carbon dioxide.
- Over 30% of fruits and vegetables in North America don't even make it onto store shelves because they're not pretty enough for picky consumers.
- 9 billion people will inhabit the planet by 2050, we will need to produce 60% more food to feed them!
- 1.3 billion tonnes of food produced worldwide is never eaten. That's enough to feed the world's 1 billion hungry three times over!